Public bug reported:

There is a missing dependency that makes using GTK/GDK from Python a bit
brittle.

GTK/GDK uses cairo for drawing, so having GTK/GDK means that cairo is
available and can be used.

However, having the Python bindings for GTK/GDK currently doesn't
guarantee that the Python bindings for cairo are installed. Hence,
drawing functions can explode when Python GTK applications try to use
them. In the Red Hat world, this dependency is on pygobject, hence I'm
filing a bug to add the same thing here.

Upstream report for the same thing on Debian:

(also includes a simple example)

** Affects: pygobject (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to pygobject in Ubuntu.

  python3-gi doesn't depend on python3-cairo

Status in pygobject package in Ubuntu: