A few months ago I retried to reset my LibreOffice profile while
starting LO in "safe mode" and ... it worked. The issue disappeared.
Strange as this was something I tried earlier (before attempting to test
the issue with a clean user account). But anyways that solved the issue.

Since then upgraded my Ubuntu 20.04 to 22.04 and the issue is definitely gone.
Thanks to all posters that gave hints helping to solve the issue and many more
thanks to the LO developers maintaining and continuously improving LO !

Cheers,
Manuel

  LibreOffice 7 Writer and Calc crash when creating new or opening
  documents

Status in libreoffice package in Ubuntu:

  I'm using LibreOffice under Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.
  I've always used LibreOffice PPA depot instead of Ubuntu's.

  Up to version 6.4, no issues.
  When 7.0 became available, LibreOffice got automatically upgraded.
  Since then, when ever I try to create a new Writer or Calc document or when I
try to open such existing document, LibreOffice crashes immediately, then
reopens and proposes to recover the document I tried to create/open. If I opt
to recover, it crashes again. If I opt to discard, LibreOffice opens up but as
soon as I try to either create new/open either a Writer or Calc document, it
crashes again.

  I tried to open LibreOffice in safe-mode but to no avail, same behaviour.
  I also tried to reset my user profile but again to no avail.
  I finally tried to disable Java, but here again the crashes continued.

  Opening Impress or Math Formula does not cause issues.
  I haven't tried with Draw, nor Base.

  Attached the crash report I found in /var/crash

  Any help would be welcome.
  In awaiting I rolled back to Ubuntu's depot, thus back to LibreOffice 6.4.6.2
(as I'm writing these lines).

  Thanks in advance & kind regards.