I think I can give a first 'all clear', and taking a deep breath on your
side. Chrome itself looks fine.

I made a mistake: I have some 8 extensions installed, of which around 5
were enabled, and I forgot to note which. Silly me. At least, disabling
all has seen my Chrome working properly for the last hour, with a steady
9 MB of swap.

Maybe it helps to give the list of installed, currently disabled, extensions?
Adblock Plus
EditThisCookke
Simple Autoscroll
Audio Downloader Prime
Reload All Tabs
Stream Recorder - download HLS ...
Dynu Dynamic DNS client
RSS Subscription Extension, Reader

Any suggestion with which to start the re-enabling?

Packages, which is subscribed to chromium-browser in Ubuntu.

  Chromium seems to drive all data into swap, until choking

Status in chromium-browser package in Ubuntu:

  For the last day(s) my machine runs Chrome very very slow and sluggish until
it stops reacting at all. I haven't done any changes except of the daily
updates and snap refresh.
  What I found out, is that the memory space used is almost immediately the
swap space. Same after cold boot: it starts pretty usual, but soon almost all
memory data seem to be sent into swap space, despite of RAM being available.
(See attachment, taken shortly before total non-reaction. CPU isn't very busy,
RAM is aplenty.)

  Swappiness is okay at 60.
  I very much suspect Chrome, since when using Firefox, with my (in Chrome)
usual sites, everything looks fine, it doesn't choke, and the swap space used
is almost negligible.