Ok, I think I understand better the problem. Indeed the wrapper script
was written for a one-shot migration of existing profiles, not with this
use case of going back and forth between two different installations of
firefox in mind.

Could you maybe solve this by making ~/snap/firefox/common/.mozilla a bind
mount to ~/.mozilla ?
Symlinks won't work due to apparmor confinement, but bind mounts should work.

> I'd add that snap is woefully slow (both package managing and application
> start up)

How much slower is the snap? We've done quite some work in the last few
months to improve startup time (see https://ubuntu.com/blog/improving-
firefox-snap-performance-part-3 for details), and while we're aware
we're not yet on par with the deb, we've come much closer than before,
and we expect the current startup performance should be acceptable. If
it's not, we want to know about it, and we need it to be quantified.

  snap install of firefox is  a bad idea on heterogeneous networks

Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:

  We run a network of linux computers mixing a variety of flavours of
  ubuntu and other distros - for many reasons they can't all run the
  same system and they can't all be updated simultaneously.

  The switch for snap for firefox is a real PITA because the profile is
  stored elsewhere.  So we have people losing their profiles, people
  ending up with unsynchronised profiles, and a whole lot of annoyance.
  It looks like snapping a key component such as this hasn't really been
  thought through beyond the single user / single computer point of
  view.

  So the snap of firefox should be reverted back to deb (or an update
  option with an easy alternative fix offered) and any further
  conversions of packages to snaps should be consider the heterogeneous
  network environment (with fixes) before proceeding.