Confirming this report on:

Ubuntu 22.04 Host with:
Lenovo Server
Dual 16 Core CPUs (with hyperthreading == 64 CPUS)
384GB RAM
Ubuntu 22.04
Libvirt 8.0.0
QEMU API 8.0.0
Hyervisor QEMU 6.2.0

Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guest with:
Q35 VM with OVMF
4 x CPU
8192MB RAM

Trying to run "snap Eclipse". UI performance is so bad that it is unusable.
I have testing the same software configuration with Ubuntu 20.04 Quest with
only 2 CPU/4096MB RAM and performance is very snappy and no issues.

On my 22.04 quest I also have a lot of qxl errors in my kern.log:

sudo grep 'drm:qxl_alloc' kern.log
Sep 11 21:08:36 graphit kernel: [  103.590807] [drm:qxl_alloc_bo_reserved
[qxl]] *ERROR* failed to allocate VRAM BO
Sep 11 21:11:09 graphit kernel: [  256.682227] [drm:qxl_alloc_bo_reserved
[qxl]] *ERROR* failed to allocate VRAM BO
Sep 11 21:11:42 graphit kernel: [  289.705678] [drm:qxl_alloc_bo_reserved
[qxl]] *ERROR* failed to allocate VRAM BO
Sep 11 21:12:00 graphit kernel: [  307.625499] [drm:qxl_alloc_bo_reserved
[qxl]] *ERROR* failed to allocate VRAM BO
Sep 11 21:12:18 graphit kernel: [  325.801386] [drm:qxl_alloc_bo_reserved
[qxl]] *ERROR* failed to allocate VRAM BO

I updated libvert vgamem as per your finding and now have workable VM
again.

So while there is work around I believe there should be some fix in
libvirt/qemu to ensure that VM is configured with vgamem value that
results in working VM.

I have posted my testing in details here:
https://tips.graphica.com.au/ubuntu-eclipse-snap-is-broken/

Thank you for posting the bug report.

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-qxl in Ubuntu.

  frequent 15-sec guest freeze with ubuntu 22.04 host and guest

Status in xserver-xorg-video-qxl package in Ubuntu:

  I'm running a new installation of Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop on a Thinkpad
  T450s (core i5-5200, 2 cores / 4 vCPUs, 12 GB memory). Using the virt-
  manager GUI, I performed what I believe is a simple, plain-vanilla
  installation of an Ubuntu 22.04 guest running under qemu/kvm with 2
  vCPUs and 4 GB memory.

  I'm seeing very frequent, 15-second freezes of the guest. When it
  happens, the guest is completely unresponsive. After about 15 seconds,
  it works normally again, until the next freeze. The duration of the
  freeze appears to be the same every time. The guest isn't doing much -
  just open the calculator app and click number buttons. The freeze
  doesn't happen if I don't interact with the guest (just leave the
  system monitor running in the guest, so I can see that it's not
  frozen).

  I observe the freeze when I have 2 of the 4 vCPUs dedicated to the
  guest. I do NOT observe it when I have only one vCPU dedicated to the
  guest.

  Both the host and guest are using only a small fraction of the memory
  available to them. When the problem happens, the host indicates that
  CPU usage is very low across all vCPUs. The host appears to be
  operating normally when the guest is frozen.

  I see the following pair of lines in the guest syslog every time the
  freeze occurs (and only when the freeze occurs):

  May 10 13:48:40 qemu-jammy kernel: [  144.259799] qxl 0000:00:01.0:
  object_init failed for (8298496, 0x00000001)

  May 10 13:48:40 qemu-jammy kernel: [  144.259819]
  [drm:qxl_alloc_bo_reserved [qxl]] *ERROR* failed to allocate VRAM BO

  I don't see anything in the host syslog that correlates with the
  freeze.

  If I choose "Virtio" in the Video drop-down in the virt-manager GUI,
  with "3D acceleration" UNchecked, the guest works fine, and the freeze
  never happens. Unfortunately, that loses fractional scaling, which is
  important to me. If I check "3D acceleration," the guest won't boot.