Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make
Ubuntu better. We are sorry that we do not always have the capacity to
review all reported bugs in a timely manner.

This bug seems to have been fixed some time ago as I'm not seeing an
issue when using Chrome and Firefox in both Ubuntu 20.04 and 22.04.
Comments in the link above imply that is the case.

Without any version information being given for Ubuntu, Firefox or
Chrome I'm closing this as probably being fixed in updates since this
bug report was raised.

** Changed in: xorg (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to xorg in Ubuntu.

  webGLSL: "return" ignored in "if"

Status in xorg package in Ubuntu:

  This bug occurs in web GLSL ES since WebGl2.0 , on firefox and chrome.

  in some configurations (probably: divergent branches with only some having a
"return"), "return" in "if" is ignored.
  see simple proof case here: https://www.shadertoy.com/view/MsScDm
  (this is also the cause of several existing shaders no longer working since
WebGl2.0 ).