I managed to get audio output going using amixer:
amixer sset Master mute unmute 1- 1+

Both parts are necessary (mute/unmute and volume adjustment). Just
muting/unmuting or adjusting the volume does not bring back audio
output.

I can put it in my start script without adding any possibly insufficient
delay prior to it.

I still don't understand why this is needed. If playback is delayed long
enough, the "audio system" (I don't know which component) seems to do
something similar internally and it magically works. However, this is
not how it is supposed to work, because a user (or a start script) can
not know how long the delay actually needs to be.

Packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  [NUC12WSKi5, Realtek ALC269VB, Green Headphone Out, Left] Playback
  problem with startup applications

Status in alsa-driver package in Ubuntu:

  I am starting an audio application (a.g. aplay, paplay, any media
  player) automatically after login (through the "Startup
  Applications"). I can see that the app is playing some audio through
  PulseAudio by checking pavucontrol. However, no sound is output to the
  speaker.

  When I delay the startup of the app a couple of seconds (e.g. via
  sleep 5), the sound is played as expected.

  We tried to analyze the issue here:

  It seems that there is something wrong with the mixer when audio apps
  are launched very early after boot (or login?): The "Master Playback
  Volume" is set to 0 at the ALSA level, and it seems that PulseAudio is
  not able to raise it if audio playback is started so early. Attempts
  to automatically raise the "Master Playback Volume" through amixer
  also failed. The "Master Playback Volume" stays at 0. As mentioned
  above, when the start of the playback is delayed a bit, the "Master
  Playback Volume" is at 100 as expected.

  Package: alsa-base 1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu7
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu82.1
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  kiosk      1081 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/pcmC0D0c:   kiosk      1081 F...m pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p:   kiosk      1081 F...m pulseaudio
  CasperMD5CheckResult: pass
  Date: Mon Nov 21 10:35:48 2022
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS "Jammy Jellyfish" - Release amd64
(20220809.1)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: alsa-driver
  Symptom: audio
  Symptom_AlsaPlaybackTest: ALSA playback test through plughw:PCH successful
  Symptom_Card: Built-in Audio - HDA Intel PCH
  Symptom_Jack: Green Headphone Out, Left
  Symptom_PulsePlaybackTest: PulseAudio playback test successful
  Symptom_Type: None of the above
  Title: [NUC12WSKi5, Realtek ALC269VB, Green Headphone Out, Left] Playback
problem
  dmi.bios.date: 07/18/2022
  dmi.bios.release: 5.26
  dmi.bios.vendor: Intel Corp.
  dmi.bios.version: WSADL357.0085.2022.0718.1739
  dmi.board.name: NUC12WSBi5
  dmi.board.vendor: Intel Corporation
  dmi.board.version: M46425-302
  dmi.chassis.type: 35
  dmi.chassis.vendor: Intel Corporation
  dmi.chassis.version: 2.0
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnIntelCorp.:bvrWSADL357.0085.2022.0718.1739:bd07/18/2022:br5.26:svnIntel(R)ClientSystems:pnNUC12WSKi5:pvrM46708-302:rvnIntelCorporation:rnNUC12WSBi5:rvrM46425-302:cvnIntelCorporation:ct35:cvr2.0:skuNUC12WSKi5000:
  dmi.product.family: WS
  dmi.product.name: NUC12WSKi5
  dmi.product.sku: NUC12WSKi5000
  dmi.product.version: M46708-302