Robert,
Wry's comment called my attention to this bug, and I can't help thinking of a
functionality aspect that I mentioned in an email message a few weeks ago;
please see the SetLanguage_call.txt attachment.

>From my POV things would better happen in this order:
1. Lock up home if encrypted (which I suspect is the same thing as launching
the user session - or maybe it isn't?)
2. Call SetLanguage in the case of a language chooser
3. Run PAM

** Attachment added: "SetLanguage_call.txt"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lightdm/+bug/881466/+attachment/2694556/+files/SetLanguage_call.txt

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  Run PAM code inside session process

Status in Light Display Manager:
  Triaged
Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “lightdm” source package in Precise:

  Currently PAM code is run inside the main lightdm daemon process.
  This means that buggy PAM modules can crash lightdm (see bug 829221).
  We should change the architecture to run the PAM code inside the
  session processes before launching the user session.