Upstream issue was closed "RESOLVED WORKSFORME" ON 2017-11-13
Ubuntu 16.04 (xenial) reached end-of-standard-support on April 29, 2021.
Comment #1 says not an issue with Ubuntu 19.04.
Reporter no longer uses Launchpad so closing remaining task
as 'Invalid' as not a specific Ubuntu GNOME issue anyway.

** Changed in: ubuntu-gnome

  LibreOffice should automatically detect installed dictionary and allow
  ease in changing to it

Status in LibreOffice:
  Invalid
Status in Ubuntu GNOME:
  Invalid
Status in libreoffice package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  I have found that even after installing the "English (UK)" language
  packs on Ubuntu GNOME 16.04 with GNOME 3.20 that I must set it in the
  settings for LibreOffice Writer and the majority of the other ones in
  the suit require this.

  Though I think it would be much easier if if one has the needed
  language packs installed for the only thing to really need doing to be
  setting the "Text language" thing at the bottom. Currently if I try
  and do that without setting it in the main settings in several places
  it just jumps back to "English (US)" immediately without giving me any
  hint of what I should do to achieve what I want.