This is probably caused by something different than the described issue,
but I'm experiencing this symptom periodically on 22.04. I can still
move my mouse around, but I can't exit the overview. I can ssh into the
box, so it is some issue with gnome getting stuck. I submitted a report.

  gnome-shell freezes when entering "overview"

  This is new as of today's updates in precise. Every so often (but
  frequently) gnome-shell with hang when accessing "overview".

  Dropping down to console and killing gnome-shell restarts it and I'm
  able to carry on. But it's damn frustrating ;)

  Happy to provide additional info, please just let me know what and how
  to get it.