Public bug reported:

I get an error "Secure connection failed" whenever I attempt to
authenticate to accounts that are hosted by Google.  This affects
gmail.com addresses and addresses in other domains that use Google
Workspaces.  I am able to connect to other mail servers (e.g. ones
running dovecot).

In order to make sure the problem wasn't caused by any plugin, etc. that
I had installed, I reinstalled the packages and moved aside the
~/.thundirbird directory.

The problem still occurs doing the account setup phase for the Google
accounts.  I enter the name, address, password in the main Thunderbird
window, and then get a pop-up window that asks for account name and
password again.  After entering that, it proceeds to ask me if I want to
allow Thunderbird permission to access mail, calendars, etc., and it
then asks me to do the two-factor authentication.  It's after I do the
two-factor authentication and click the button to indicate that I have
done so that I get the error.

There should not be any outbound firewall rules blocking connections to
Google servers. IPv6 does not work properly from this network, but I
don't have any known problems with IPv4 connections to Google.

Ubuntu 20.04
thunderbird 1:102.8.0+build2-0ubuntu0.20.04.1
thunderbird-gnome-support :102.8.0+build2-0ubuntu0.20.04.1

** Affects: thunderbird (Ubuntu)

** Attachment added: "Screenshot from 2023-03-07 03-02-57.png"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2011471/+attachment/5654222/+files/Screenshot%20from%202023-03-07%2003-02-57.png

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  Unable to authenticate to Google Gmail mail servers: Secure connection
  failed

Status in thunderbird package in Ubuntu: