This bug affects me, and I'm running 20.04. It started a couple of
months ago.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-screensaver in Ubuntu.

  Password works in virtual terminal but not in Gnome screensaver

Status in GNOME Screensaver:
  Expired
Status in gnome-screensaver package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: gnome-terminal

  I've got an EEE PC running Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04:
  $ uname -a
  Linux hostname 2.6.28-15-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP tue Aug 18 18:40:08 UTC 2009
i686 GNU/Linux
  $ lsb_release -rd
  Release: 9.04
  $ apt-cache policy gnome-screensaver
  [...]
  Installed: 2.24.0-0ubuntu6

  After leaving it for a long time (probably 24+ hours) locked (using
  Ctrl-Alt-L), I'm unable to login with my regular password in Gnome.
  I've verified that I'm using the right input mode (US Dvorak) by
  clicking "Leave Message" and typing the password there. I've also
  changed the input mode to my second option, Norwegian, and typed the
  password (it's all a-zA-Z0-9 characters). I also verified that I'm
  able to log in in the first virtual terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F1) with the
  same password.

  This problem has not occurred before.

  I'll postpone rebooting in case you know anything else I could try to
  fix this.