@mantas: I made the metapackage changes you mentioned here:
https://git.launchpad.net/~alichtman/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-
meta/commit/?id=c67add66d28fd38cddfcdd9798339f8040b6589c

I opened a MR here:
https://code.launchpad.net/~alichtman/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-
meta/+git/ubuntu-meta/+merge/442067. I'm not really sure if it's
targeting the right destination branch. It's my first ubuntu
contribution.

Packages, which is subscribed to eog in Ubuntu.

  HEIF support should be installed by default

Status in Default settings and artwork for Baltix OS:
  Triaged
Status in eog package in Ubuntu:

  The HEIF image file format [1] is getting quite popular, mainly
  because this is now the default image format for iOS [2].
  Unfortunately, this is not supported by default in Ubuntu (20.04). In
  practice, this means that if someone sends you a picture from an
  iPhone, you won't be able to look at it (and the error message in eog
  is just saying this "is not a image",  not hinting at all that
  installing a small package could solve it).

  Therefore, I'd recommend installing by default the following two extra
packages. This is about 60kB:
  heif-gdk-pixbuf
  heif-thumbnailer

  [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Efficiency_Image_File_Format