If anyone has suggestions for what to monitor or where to look for
telemetry on what could be going on, I'd be happy to do so. I'm at the
limits of my expertise for now otherwise.

Packages, which is subscribed to totem in Ubuntu.

  Moving video position /scrubbing in Totem (Videos) causes video to
  freeze (but not audio)

Status in GStreamer:
  New
Status in Totem:
  Fix Released
Status in gstreamer package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in pitivi package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in totem package in Ubuntu:

  When playing videos in 22.04, moving the position will often cause the
  video to stop. The audio will work as expected. I found mention of
  this behavior here as well:
  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/totem/-/issues/526