This is fixed in Ubuntu Lunar (23.04). After upgrading, I can no longer
reproduce.

  Sound device missing (monitor)

Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in pipewire package in Ubuntu:

  GNOME isn't exposing the monitor audio device. It doesn't show up as
  an option to switch to in the Sound settings.

  This is the device, from 'lspci':
  > 03:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 21/23
HDMI/DP Audio Controller

  It's an LG ultrawide monitor connected via HDMI to an AMD Radeon RX
  6600 graphics card.

  I'm reporting it against the Ubuntu session because I cannot reproduce
  this on a different desktop or distribution. I've recently tried
  Kubuntu 22.10 and Fedora 37, and both worked as expected.

  Package: ubuntu-session 43.0-1ubuntu2
  ApportVersion: 2.23.1-0ubuntu3.2
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: pass
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Wed Apr 19 15:24:31 2023
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 22.10 "Kinetic Kudu" - Release amd64 (20221020)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: gnome-session