Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make
Ubuntu better. We are sorry that we do not always have the capacity to
review all reported bugs in a timely manner.

Ubuntu 16.04 (xenial) reached end-of-standard-support on April 29, 2021.

I'm setting the status of this bug to 'Incomplete' as it's not seen any
activity for some time. If this is still an issue when using a currently
maintained release of Ubuntu then please let us know which one(s)
otherwise this bug report can be left to expire in approximately 60 days
time.

** Changed in: xorg-server (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to xorg-server in Ubuntu.

  System crashes after login

Status in xorg-server package in Ubuntu:

  I'm experiencing a strange problem on a freshly installed 16.04
  Lubuntu (64bit). I could not yet localize the problem with debugging,
  therefore it's difficult to assign it to a particular package.

  For some reason the screen get's black and dead in an early state of
  the login process, but it seems to be rather a coincidence and some
  network/timing problem.

  The problem does not occur, if I boot the machine in maintenance mode,
  just take care to  have the network up and running, and then proceed.
  Smells like some timing problem with the boot process (our DHCP server
  has a significant delay due to our switching infrastructure).

  1) Freshly installed 16.04 Lubuntu. Worked without problems.

  2) ran puppet to install a big heap of regular packages, applications, etc.
and then ran into the problem, that after entering the password in the login
screen the machine showed the desktop background image for just about a second,
then the screen turned black, the monitor noticed loss of signal, and the
machine hung. Needed reboot.

  Reproducable, happend every time, even in the guest account.

  I tried to strace the lightdm session (and hoped to find the output
  after reboot), but did not get that far in the progress of the session
  to find any useful hints.

  3) I therefore bootet into the maintenance root shell in order to connect a
second machine as a debugging terminal over the network, but Network Manager
did not have managed to get the network up. I removed NM and configured
/etc/network/interfaces the old fashioned way.

  Then found, that the package  ubuntu-fan  keeps network configuration
  from suceeding, because it always fails. Removed ubuntu-fan, and
  network worked well.

  To my surprise, the desktop then worked without problems *once*.

  4) If I boot the machine now, it crashes even earlier, bevor logging in, but
not if I have the maintenance Session before.

  So my guess is that something in the session goes terribly wrong if and only
if the network is not properly up in running.

  Sorry for not beeing more precise, I'll mention as soon as I find
  more.