Thanks! Sounds like this change in mutter 42.7:

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/-/merge_requests/2734

So a workaround might be to add MUTTER_DEBUG_SEND_KMS_MODIFIERS=1 to
/etc/environment

** Changed in: mutter (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to mutter in Ubuntu.

  [amdgpu] google chrome hardware acceleration broken on 42.9-0ubuntu2

Status in mutter package in Ubuntu:

  This morning, I upgraded gnome-shell and gnome-shell-common from
  42.5-0ubuntu1 to 42.9-0ubuntu2, and I noticed that chrome no longer
  renders properly. Notice the missing image header on the Ubuntu
  website and the garbled right click menu here:

  https://i.imgur.com/BPnqfVG.png

  I downgraded gnome-shell and gnome-shell-common version to
  42.0-2ubuntu1, restarted gnome, and the rendering issues went away:

  https://i.imgur.com/CzEPgqY.png

  I upgraded gnome-shell and gnome-shell-common again to the latest and
  the rendering issues came back. Going to chrome://settings/system and
  disabling hardware acceleration fixes the rendering issues (but now I
  don't  have hardware acceleration).

  I'm running the latest stable version of chrome which was released a
  few weeks ago: 114.0.5735.198

  ---

  $ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      22.04