In order to test if the system MESA has the fix while the Chromium snaps
does not, I unpacked it and ran the Chromium binary against system
libraries.

The GPU hang doesn't reproduce, suggesting the MESA libraries included
in the Snaps is outdated and should be updated to eg
23.0.4-0ubuntu1~23.04.1.

** Bug watch added: gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues #9695
   https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/9695

Packages, which is subscribed to chromium-browser in Ubuntu.

  GPU hangs in SketchUp on Intel gen12 due to outdated MESA library

Status in chromium-browser package in Ubuntu:

  When opening a SketchUp model (example) in Firefox or Chromium, after
  ~5 seconds, the SketchUp logo freezes for ~4 seconds, and we see a
  blank page. The logs show the GPU hang and browser rendering context
  failed to initialise.

  This has 100% reproducibility on my 12-gen GPU.

  On this system with Ubuntu 23.04, I have always seen a GPU hang with the
stock Ubuntu kernel or mainline.
  Log files as attachment

  - the output of 'dmesg' is at https://quora.org/OJnlVgn4xZ/dmesg.txt
  - the output of 'dmesg' with kernel boot args 'drm.debug=0x1e
log_buf_len=16M' is at https://quora.org/OJnlVgn4xZ/dmesg-debug.txt
  - the output of /sys/class/drm/card0/error is at
https://quora.org/OJnlVgn4xZ/i915-error.txt

  Since I was able to cause failure uncontained to the rendering process
  when performing this 5-8 times, there is an argument that this is a
  security (DoS) issue, though I'll let someone else make a judgement.