the snap will access the filesystem through xdg-desktop-portal-gtk (or
the equivalent for your desktop) though if the snapd desktop interfaces
is connected it should also be able to directly access user directories

  Firefox-snap cannot save files or launch apps due to faulty apparmor
  configuration

Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:

  Since a recent update, firefox cannot any more save pages, images or
  download files. It also cannot launch other processes like zoom via
  meeting links. This seems to be caused by a faulty apparmor
  configuration and a common problem since the introduction of the snap
  package, e.g. c.f. https://arstechnica.com/civis/threads/snap-based-
  firefox-is-a-terrible-experience.1487499 or
  https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2476758 . However, none of
  the proposed workarounds works for me, neither editing apparmor
  configuration files, reinstalling firefox, or refreshing it via Help
  -> More troubleshoot information -> Refresh firefox.

  Finally, I found that snap installs two binaries, one in
  /usr/bin/firefox and one in
  /snap/firefox/3252/usr/lib/firefox/firefox. If I start firefox from
  cli with typing firefox, the first one is invoked, which is broken. If
  I explicitly invoke /snap/firefox/3252/usr/lib/firefox/firefox, saving
  works fine. So I just aliased the second binary to firefox in the
  .bashrc. This binary also strangely seems to use its own
  configuration, i.e. own apps, password storage, etc. I hope this
  information helps other users with the same problem and the package
  maintainers with fixing the configuration.

  Package: firefox 1:1snap1-0ubuntu2
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu82.5
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: unknown
  CurrentDesktop: KDE
  Date: Thu Nov  2 10:03:30 2023
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Beta amd64 (20150805)
  Snap.Changes: no changes found
  SourcePackage: firefox
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to jammy on 2022-10-30 (367 days ago)