This bug also affects me (Rhythmbox 0.12.8 on Ubuntu Lucid x64), but
only with some mp3 files. gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly is installed, and
cross-fading is disabled.

Packages, which is subscribed to gstreamer0.10 in Ubuntu.

  Rhythmbox 0.12.0 time unknown, seekbar disabled

Status in The Rhythmbox Music Management Application:
  Expired
Status in “gstreamer0.10” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: rhythmbox

  Using Ubuntu 9.04 x64, system up to date as of 2009-05-07, Rhythmbox
  version 0.12.0

  After upgrade from 8.10 to 9.04, Rhythmbox no longer displays the
  duration of the song. The time column is always "Unknown" and remains
  so even after the song has been played completely.

  More serious yet, the seek bar is disabled. Seek bar: the cursor which
  shows the relative position of the playing song in the total time. The
  cursor always remains at position 0, it doesn't move when the song is
  playing and, of course, it is not possible to move it with the mouse.
  The only thing I can do is to listen to the song from start to end.

  This issue didn't exist with v8.10. On this same machine, VLC can play
  the same song and it is possible to move VLC's seekbar.

  Thanks in advance for taking care.