This bug is closed as a duplicate of bug 2035016 which is also closed.
So if you have any ongoing issues please open new bugs for them.

Packages, which is subscribed to mutter in Ubuntu.

  Freeze when going full screen while watching video

Status in Mutter:
  New
Status in mutter package in Ubuntu:

  Hi.

  The screen freezes when I switch a running video into fullscreen mode.
  It happens with Gnome Totem, VLC, Firefox, so the issue is not
  connected to a certain app.

  I can hear the audio playing in the background while the video output
  gets stuck. The keyboard keeps working but switching to another app
  via keyboard doesn't work because the screen keeps stuck with the
  video.

  Way to reproduce:

  1) Boot Ubuntu
  2) Close lid and let the laptop go to sleep mode
  3) Open the lid and login
  4) Start a random video on Youtube/VLC/Totem
  5) Switch to fullscreen
  -> Immediate freeze of the screen

  Workaround after the video froze:
  1) Press ESC key (As if you would usually leave the fullscreen mode, however,
the screen will stay stuck)
  2) Close the lid
  3) Wait until the laptop goes into sleep mode
  4) Open the lid and login again

  Step 1) is necessary to leave the fullscreen before going to sleep.
  Otherwise after sleep and logging in again the screen gets stuck again
  immediately because the video is continued in fullscreen.

  Syslog tell me this:

  gnome-shell[1744]: meta_window_set_stack_position_no_sync: assertion
  'window->stack_position >= 0' failed

  Ubuntu 23.10 beta with all updates of 22.09.2023
  Ryzen 7 PRO 6850U
  Kernel 6.5.0-5-generic