This doesn't sound right. gnome-shell only uses a couple hundred
megabytes of RAM by default. How are you measuring it?

While the problem is happening, please run:

  ps auxw | grep gnome-shell > ps-gs.txt

and attach the resulting text file here.

** Changed in: gnome-shell (Ubuntu)

** Tags added: gnome-shell-leak

  gnome-shell takes too much ram

  I had no memory problems with Ubuntu 20.04.
  After upgrading to Ubuntu 22.04, my 16GB laptop suffered from lack of memory.
  I upgraded to 48GB (!), and the memory still continues to fill.
  After a few days, with no program started, 12GB is taken. Gnome-shell alone
is taking 17.4% of my 48GB.
  I guess it is suffering from a memory leak.

  gnome-shell:
    Installé : 42.9-0ubuntu2
    Candidat : 42.9-0ubuntu2
   Table de version :
   *** 42.9-0ubuntu2 500
          500 http://fr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-updates/main amd64
Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       42.0-2ubuntu1 500
          500 http://fr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy/main amd64 Packages

  Package: gnome-shell 42.9-0ubuntu2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 6.2.0-36.37~22.04.1-generic 6.2.16
  Uname: Linux 6.2.0-36-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu82.5
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: pass
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Wed Nov 15 07:04:21 2023
  DisplayManager: gdm3
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS "Jammy Jellyfish" - Release amd64
(20230807.2)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  RelatedPackageVersions: mutter-common 42.9-0ubuntu5
  SourcePackage: gnome-shell