I have tested this and because of age will mark it as fixed.

Test machine(s):

* Remote in London.
* Ubuntu 22.04 laptop running filezilla.
* Debian unstable VM server running samba.

Connecting to remote and downloading files to samba server at:

/run/user/1000/gvfs/<server>

All was well and no speed issues.

** Changed in: filezilla
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Phil Wyett (kathenas)

** Changed in: filezilla (Ubuntu)
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Phil Wyett (kathenas)

** Changed in: gvfs (Ubuntu)
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Phil Wyett (kathenas)

** Changed in: gvfs (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: filezilla (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gvfs in Ubuntu.

  FileZilla regularly freezes while downloading to an SMB share

Status in FileZilla:
  Fix Released
Status in filezilla package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in gvfs package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Hello,

  When transferring files from an FTP server (TLS or not) to an SMB
  share, Filezilla keeps freezing which leads down to very much slower
  transfers ...

  Looking at resources usage, the gvfs-smb process works hard (60% cpu
  usage on my I7)

  I don't have such an issue or any slowdown when using other apps over
  the same SMB shares.

  Package: filezilla 3.5.3-1ubuntu2
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia