Chris Sherlock committed a patch related to this issue.
It has been pushed to "master":

https://git.libreoffice.org/core/commit/9b5964cf5931d7c09e4fd624d68595891c2afb58

vcl: add unit test for cached glyphs based on tdf#103492

It will be available in 24.2.0.

The patch should be included in the daily builds available at
https://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/ in the next 24-48 hours. More
information about daily builds can be found at:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Testing_Daily_Builds

Affected users are encouraged to test the fix and report feedback.

  [upstream] Font metrics mixed up for RTL insets in a LTR context in
  Calc

Status in LibreOffice:
  Fix Released
Status in libreoffice package in Ubuntu:

  In the attached screenshot, I’ve written an English sentence with an
  Arabic word in the middle on the first row of a Calc sheet. On the
  second row, I’ve written the same Arabic word (العربية) by itself. The
  second row looks as it should but on the first row, some of the
  characters overlap. The same problem occurs if I surround the isolated
  Arabic word with parentheses, in which case the cell is automatically
  aligned to the left. I’m using the default font settings, which in my
  environment are Liberation Sans for Latin text and DejaVu Sans for
  Arabic.

  Release:      18.04

    Installed: 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1
    Candidate: 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1
    Version table:
   *** 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1 500
          500 http://mr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  Package: libreoffice-calc 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.3
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Tue Sep 18 11:32:13 2018
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.10 "Yakkety Yak" - Release amd64 (20161012.2)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=C
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: libreoffice
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to bionic on 2018-05-31 (109 days ago)