Thanks, confirming that extracting that archive leads to described
issues. You mentioned data loss in the original description so I guess
the 'directory with empty files' might not be the only trigger but at
least we have a base to work on

I've reported the file-roller segfault upstream now
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/file-roller/-/issues/243

Nautilus crashing when trying to compress is a known upstream issue fixes in
46.1 which we will SRU
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/-/commit/6ea1f9ad

** Bug watch added: gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/file-roller/-/issues #243
   https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/file-roller/-/issues/243

** Changed in: nautilus (Ubuntu)

  extracting rar archives sometime incomplete

Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:

  Extraction of rar files (v5) from the context menu ("Extract")
  occasionally results in one or more subfolders silently being skipped.

  This behavior is not systematic. Some rar archives extract properly,
  other ones do not.

  There is not any warning or error message when the problem manifests,
  which make it likely that the problem goes overlooked. I have
  effectively sustained data loss until I discovered that one of my
  extracted folders was much smaller than it should have been.

  I have unrar (non-free) and 7z installed.

  Applications like file-roller and arqiver appear to function properly.

  Package: nautilus 1:46.0-0ubuntu2
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
  CasperMD5CheckResult: pass
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME