After a kernel update (on 2024-08-14, if I remember correctly), the Gnome
desktop freezes, always.
This happens sometimes already on the login screen (mouse pointer frozen, no
keyboard input accepted).
Sometimes it happens a few seconds or a few minutes after login.
No further input possible.
No change to a text console possible.
When I disconnect the USB-mouse and reconnect it, the mouse LED remains dark.
Seems that USB is frozen too.

This happens with kernel: vmlinuz-6.8.0-40-generic

When I boot the previous kernel: vmlinuz-6.5.0-45-generic, no freezes
occur and all works well.

I managed to switch to a text console before the freeze happened.
The attached files were created in a text console as root and then transferred
to a different computer in order to report the bug.

** Affects: gnome-session (Ubuntu)

** Tags: bot-comment
--
Gnome desktop freeze after kernel update
Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-session in Ubuntu.