I have been asked by the Bug Bot to specify a package. I don't know
which package causes the freeze. It happens in the Gnome Desktop
(Wayland, not X.org). As long as I use a text console, nothing freezes.
A soon as I switch to the GUI, the system freezes after a short time.

** Package changed: ubuntu => gnome-session (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-session in Ubuntu.

  Gnome desktop freeze after kernel update

Status in gnome-session package in Ubuntu:

  After a kernel update (on 2024-08-14, if I remember correctly), the Gnome
desktop freezes, always.
  This happens sometimes already on the login screen (mouse pointer frozen, no
keyboard input accepted).
  Sometimes it happens a few seconds or a few minutes after login.
  No further input possible.
  No change to a text console possible.
  When I disconnect the USB-mouse and reconnect it, the mouse LED remains dark.
  Seems that USB is frozen too.

  This happens with kernel: vmlinuz-6.8.0-40-generic

  When I boot the previous kernel: vmlinuz-6.5.0-45-generic, no freezes
  occur and all works well.

  I managed to switch to a text console before the freeze happened.
  The attached files were created in a text console as root and then
transferred to a different computer in order to report the bug.