> "the package revision bumps to -1ubuntu3, which is unnecessary"

Re-uploaded to the jammy queue as 1.14.4-1ubuntu2~22.04.2

Packages, which is subscribed to xdg-desktop-portal in Ubuntu.

  Refresh WebExtensions portal patch

Status in xdg-desktop-portal package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in xdg-desktop-portal source package in Jammy:
  In Progress
Status in xdg-desktop-portal source package in Noble:
  Fix Committed
Status in xdg-desktop-portal source package in Oracular:

  [ Impact ]

   * Without this change, firefox users on jammy who rely on the
     WebExtensions portal for firefox add-ons that need a native
     executable to function correctly will experience breakage when the
     latest version of the firefox native messaging patch is landed
     upstream in the near future.
     https://phabricator.services.mozilla.com/D140803

     An instance of such breakage already happened earlier this year
     when we refreshed the firefox native messaging patch we carry in
     the firefox snap to the latest revision under review in Mozilla
     Phabricator and inadvertently broke native messaging for users of
     firefox snap on jammy.

https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/firefox-122-snap-temporary-native-messaging-breakage-for-ubuntu-22-04-users-fixed-since/41940

   * The newer changes to the WebExtensions portal are being backported
     because jammy and noble are the current primary targets for the
     effort of enabling native messaging in the firefox snap, and once
     the firefox implementation lands in the firefox snap, we want this
     to continue working seamlessly and as expected.

     Moreover, with both the firefox-side and portal-side patches being
     nearly ready for merge in the corresponding upstreams, it makes
     sense to ship an up-to-date version of the portal patch in jammy
     and noble to provide a uniform platform for the firefox-side patch
     across these two LTS releases, helping ease the maintenance burden
     and lessen the difference between them from this aspect should the
     need to debug and fix potential issues in firefox or in the portal
     arise later in the future.

   * Updating the WebExtensions portal in xdg-desktop-portal before
     updating the firefox-side implementation in the firefox snap is
     fine and covered as part of the test plan.

  [ Test Plan ]

   * To test and verify the native messaging portal works as expected,
     we can test the extensions.gnome.org browser integration before
     and after updating our installed xdg-desktop-portal package.

     Before upgrading xdg-desktop-portal:

     - in a fully up-to-date Ubuntu VM, install the chrome-gnome-shell
       deb package
     - if it exists, delete ~/.local/share/flatpak/db/webextensions
       and reboot to ensure a pristine state
     - run the firefox snap and browse to
       https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/gnome-shell-integration/
       and click the "Add to Firefox" blue button
     - accept the firefox prompt to install the extension
     - you will soon be prompted by GNOME Shell (with a modal dialog)
       to allow firefox to use the WebExtensions portal to start the
       native connector, click "Allow"
     - browse to https://extensions.gnome.org/local/
     - see that firefox is able to talk to the native connector and
       display a list of the currently installed GNOME Shell extensions

     Note: the WebExtensions portal can also be tested using other
     firefox browser extensions that use native messaging, such as
     https://keepassxc.org

   * Upgrade xdg-desktop-portal to the new version from -proposed.

   * To test and verify that the firefox snap's native messaging portal
     support continues to work as intended after the portal is updated
     in xdg-desktop-portal, download and install the test snap from
     https://launchpad.net/~bandali/+snap/firefox-snap-nm-cur-old-patch
     (even though the main firefox snap distributed via the snap store
      currently ships an older revision of the firefox-side patch for
      compatibility for jammy users, a build of the firefox snap from
      the above link can be downloaded and installed to ensure that the
      current older firefox-side implementation is used):

     - in a fully up-to-date Ubuntu VM, download the newest test firefox
       snap from the above link and install it by running a command like
       'sudo snap install --dangerous filename.snap' in the terminal
     - follow the steps of the above test case but *without* deleting
       ~/.local/share/flatpak/db/webextensions and verify that native
       messaging continues to work as intended in the firefox snap.

   * To test and verify that the firefox snap's snap's native messaging
     portal support works as intended when starting fresh after the
     portal is updated in xdg-desktop-portal, repeat the above test case
     but this time do delete ~/.local/share/flatpak/db/webextensions
     and verify that native messaging continues to work as intended in
     the firefox snap and that you get prompted by GNOME Shell to allow
     firefox to use the WebExtensions portal.

   * We continue running the upstream xdg-desktop-portal test suite to
     help ensure there is no breakage in other portals.

   * Additionally, this refresh of the patch brings in new tests for the
     WebExtensions portal from our upstream PR under review into jammy,
     helping provide assurance that the WebExtensions portal we ship in
     jammy behaves identically to those shipped in newer releases, and
     establishes a baseline for potential future updates if we need to
     do further SRUs for xdg-desktop-portal.

  [ Where problems could occur ]

   * For jammy, there should be little risk refreshing the distro patch
     in xdg-desktop-portal as this is a 'new' portal and there were no
     changes to the existing portals shipped in xdg-desktop-portal.

   * Given that this port of the newer changes from our upstream PR back
     to jammy includes several new commits, it is possible that one of
     them may inadvertently introduce a bug.  However, we believe this
     risk is low, given that the PR changes were made with backward
     compatibility in mind to minimize the likelihood of breakage for
     existing users.  Additionally, the 'risk' of certain breakage once
     the firefox-side patch is merged upstream far outweighs the risk
     of refreshing the portal-side patch to bring it up-to-date with
     the latest revision under review for merging into upstream.

  [ Other Info ]

   * SRUing the latest revision under review of our WebExtensions portal
     into jammy (and noble) will allow to us finally safely land the
     firefox-side implementation in upstream Firefox, helping avoid
     bitrot of the patch we carry against the firefox snap and easing
     the maintenance burden of the firefox snap and the native messaging
     portal support itself as part of the upstream codebase.