This bug was fixed in the package mutter - 47.0-1ubuntu4

---------------
mutter (47.0-1ubuntu4) oracular; urgency=high

  * Add a missing break in derive_logical_monitor_size as part of
    x11-Add-support-for-fractional-scaling-using-Randr.patch.
    Because falling through two switch cases was causing the scale to be
    applied twice, which then resulted in mode verification failing later.
    (LP: #2080374)

 -- Daniel van Vugt <daniel.van.v...@canonical.com>  Mon, 30 Sep 2024
18:15:25 +0800

** Changed in: mutter (Ubuntu)

  Unable to change display settings ("Changes Cannot be Applied", "This
  could be due to hardware limitations")

Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in mutter package in Ubuntu:

  Ubuntu 24.10 (on 2024-09-11)

  ROG CROSSHAIR X670E HERO
  AMD Ryzen 9 7950X
  94GB DDR5
  AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX

  When I attempt to switch from 60Hz to 239.99Hz the apply button is greyed out
and it says "Changes could not be applied, this could be due to hardware
limitations.

  The same error happens when I attempt to switch from 100% scaling to
  any other scale.

  Here is the warning that pops up when I attempt either:
  cc-display-panel[ 5534]: WARNING: Config not applicable:
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.InvalidArgs: Monitor modes in logical
monitor conflict