The most relevant log messages I can see are:

  Cursor update failed: drmModeAtomicCommit: Invalid argument

If that happens enough times or at an unlucky time, then gnome-shell has
been known to start freezing one display at a time. To work around it,
just add this to /etc/environment:

  MUTTER_DEBUG_FORCE_KMS_MODE=simple

Or if you would like to debug and find the root cause then don't do
that, instead add:

  MUTTER_DEBUG=kms

so we can see what part of the commit the kernel thinks is invalid. In
the past when we've seen this error it's usually been due to bugs in the
i915 kernel driver. So it's really up to mutter/gnome-shell to handle
the errors and recover. Although evdi (DisplayLink) is also a big factor
in your setup.

** Changed in: gnome-shell (Ubuntu)

** Tags added: displaylink evdi i915 multimonitor wayland wayland-
session

** Summary changed:

- 24.04: single screen gets stuck and no more updates
+ 24.04: single screen gets stuck and no more updates (5 monitor setup with
i915 and DisplayLink)

  24.04: single screen gets stuck and no more updates (5 monitor setup
  with i915 and DisplayLink)

  Hi,
  I considered it a one off, but it now happened a second time so I thought it
might be worth to report so you can match against anything else you might get
reported.

  ## Setup

  - Ubuntu 24.04 with mostly defaults (I config a few things but e.g. do
  not install a massive amount of extensions or such)

  - Lenovo T580

  - GPU UHD Graphics 620

  - DisplayLink Plugable USBC-6950 Dual HDMI Adapter

  - 5 Screens left to right
    - top row: 1: laptop display, 2: full HD on displaylink, 3: full HD on
displaylink
    - bottom row: 4: full HD on DP of the docking station, 5: full HD on DP of
the docking station
    - 1: is the primary screen (e.g. with the dock)
    - 4: is the screen with issues at least the 2/2 times it happened so far

  - In xrand terms it is
  DP-4 connected 1920x1080+514+1920 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
600mm x 340mm
  DP-5 connected 1920x1080+2434+1920 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
600mm x 340mm
  eDP-1 connected primary 1920x1080+0+840 (normal left inverted right x axis y
axis) 340mm x 190mm
  DVI-I-1 connected 1920x1080+3000+840 (normal left inverted right x axis y
axis) 600mm x 340mm
  DVI-I-2 connected 1080x1920+1920+0 left (normal left inverted right x axis y
axis) 600mm x 340mm

  - $ echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
  wayland

  ## Situation:

  #1 first time
  24. Sept
  - Right at the moment when I tried to screen share through meets the screen
(4) froze up
  - froze to me means the content froze, not going black but no more doing
updates e.g. no mouse moves are seen, no video update, nothing
  - The system otherwise was happy and responsive I could continue to work on
the other screens
  - The content stayed frozen even when e.g. changing workspaces
  - I had a look, but nothing interesting came up to my non-GUI-trained eyes
  - I've set up my system to power down screens on lock, so I thought maybe
lock/unlock would re-set the screen. But what happened was that all screens
successfully powered down - yet nothing ever woke up again

  The messages (interesting to me) that I spot around there are:
  Sep 24 17:31:34 Keschdeichel xdg-desktop-por[952454]: Failed to associate
portal window with parent window
  Sep 24 17:33:52 Keschdeichel gnome-shell[5030]: Can't update stage views
actor Window drag helper [ClutterActor] is on because it needs an allocation.
  Sep 24 17:34:02 Keschdeichel gnome-shell[5030]: Can't update stage views
actor unnamed [Gjs_ui_altTab_WindowSwitcherPopup] is on because it needs an
allocation.

  #2 second time
  1. Oct ~18:00 +- 25 min (The meeting was important and hence I failed to spot
the exact time)
  - I was in a screen sharing session (coincidence or am I just having too many
meetings?)
  - Then suddenly I found the same screen (4) frozen
  - My counterpart told me they could still see me move and even the active
sharing of screen 5 still was updating
  - I was again looking into the logs, but again found nothing obvious to me
  - I reached out to #desktop what I should look out for but didn't catch the
reply before auto-screen save kicked in. That in turn again made the system
fully unresponsive so I had to reboot.

  Again I found the same messages,
  Okt 01 17:46:02 Keschdeichel xdg-desktop-por[6150]: Failed to associate
portal window with parent window
  Okt 01 17:46:04 Keschdeichel wireplumber[4976]:
<WpPortalPermissionStorePlugin:0x5814964a3840> Failed to call Lookup:
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.portal.Error.NotFound: No entry for camera

  But in hindsight I consider these red herring, as I see them more often.
  $  journalctl -b -1 | grep "associate portal window with parent window" -c
  14

  I asked in Desktop what to look out for and got the good hint to look for
"drm" ot "atomic".
  I found this one:
  Sep 24 15:49:28 Keschdeichel kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] *ERROR* Atomic
update failure on pipe B (start=338711 end=338712) time 137 us, min 1073, max
1079, scanline start 1072, end 1081

  But that is only in one of the logs and hours before the issue
  happened the second time.

  I'll attach the full journals of those two cases and run apport-bug to
collect the usual-suspect information. I hope that this makes this good enough
to be somewhat helpful, if you end up having some theories let me know what I
should check next time as I keep control of the other screens that should be
well debuggable if only I'd know what to look for.
  ---
  ProblemType: Bug
  ApportVersion: 2.28.1-0ubuntu3.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: pass
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  DisplayManager: gdm3
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 24.04
  GsettingsChanges:

  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS "Jammy Jellyfish" - Release amd64
(20230807.2)
  NonfreeKernelModules: zfs
  Package: gnome-shell 46.0-0ubuntu6~24.04.4
  PackageArchitecture: amd64
  RelatedPackageVersions: mutter-common 46.2-1ubuntu0.24.04.1
  Tags: noble
  UserGroups: N/A
  _MarkForUpload: True