I added comments on GNOME bugzilla, but I have more comments relevant to
just Ubuntu.

When this locks up, there is almost no way out for me.
Ctrl+Alt+Backspace hasn't worked in a long time, so that's not an
option. Ctrl+Alt+1 (or 2-6) works, but because of some other bug
(NVIDIA, perhaps) the VT is invisible. (I also get a sort of "backlight
bleed" effect sometimes.) The VT is present so I can log in and `killall
gedit`, but I have to do it blindly. There's also no sshd by default, so
I couldn't even log in remotely to kill the process.

There needs to be a way for a user who doesn't know these tricks to get
back to working system without pulling the power.

Packages, which is subscribed to gedit in Ubuntu.

  dnd pointer lock when dragging tab between two gedit instances

Status in Light-Weight Text Editor for Gnome:
  Confirmed
Status in “gedit” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “gedit” source package in Oneiric:
  Triaged
Status in “gedit” source package in Precise:

  When I start two instances of gedit (for example manual opening and
  opening a file) and dragging from one tab to the other freezes the
  complete unity desktop. When i look at the processes i only see one
  gedit instance running. If i kill it the gui is free.