Not sure about that. I collected the data when the system was idle, like
when I did a different log last night, and nm-applet didn't grow during
that time (http://i.imgur.com/V2OPh.png).

Packages, which is subscribed to network-manager-applet in Ubuntu.

  nm-applet causing constant writes to disk (.xsession-errors)

Status in “network-manager-applet” package in Ubuntu:

  I tried Martin Pitt's fatrace [0] to find out about what I/O is going
  on when the system is idle. I let it ran for seven hours and the
  result showed, that ~60% of all 22,000 writes were caused by the nm-
  applet writing to ~/.xsession-errors.

  This is what repeats over and over again:

  LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-CRITICAL **: dbusmenu_menuitem_child_add_position: assertion
`g_list_find(priv->children, child) == NULL' failed
  LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-CRITICAL **: dbusmenu_menuitem_child_add_position: assertion
`g_list_find(priv->children, child) == NULL' failed
  LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-CRITICAL **: dbusmenu_menuitem_child_add_position: assertion
`g_list_find(priv->children, child) == NULL' failed
  LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-CRITICAL **: dbusmenu_menuitem_child_add_position: assertion
`g_list_find(priv->children, child) == NULL' failed
  LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-CRITICAL **: dbusmenu_menuitem_child_add_position: assertion
`g_list_find(priv->children, child) == NULL' failed
  LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: Trying to remove a child that doesn't believe
we're it's parent.
  LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: Trying to remove a child that doesn't believe
we're it's parent.

  Using up-to-date Precise with n-m-g
  0.9.2.0+git.20120126t000800.5151959-0ubuntu1.

  [0]: http://www.piware.de/2012/02/fatrace-report-system-wide-file-
  access-events/