Unassigning myself. A way to install the VPN plugins should probably be
provided, but it's not something I can spend time on to land in Precise
now, especially past Feature Freeze. I'll look into this after the
Precise release in case something simple could be arranged.

** Changed in: network-manager (Ubuntu)
     Assignee: Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre (mathieu-tl) => (unassigned)

  gui should explain that vpn is not available

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: network-manager

  Bug 278153 was originally about the fact that if the openvpn plugin is
  not installed, the VPN-related options in networkmanager are just
  grayed out (http://launchpadlibrarian.net/18218320/screenshot.png)
  with no indication of why, or what can be done to fix it.  Bug 278153
  is now about installing the plugins by default which is apparently
  difficult or controversial.

  It looks like the GUI does now now whether the plugin is available or
  not, because it disables the options (rather than eg just crashing or
  erroring when you try to use them.)

  So this bug could be fixed by displaying a label in that dialog saying
  "VPN support is not installed" as well as disabling the controls.
  It's not perfect but it would at least give people a clue what to do
  next.