It’s quite diffucult to reproduce, if you don’t have anyone with non-square
userpics in contact list.
To reproduce, just chat with someone who has rectangular userpic.

On you screenshot, the userpic is actually square (even if it doesn’t
look so). Notice the round corners on your and my screenshots, and
you’ll see that on you screenshot userpic just has white margins.

I don’t know if empathy automaticaly resizes your userpic when you choose it,
but contact I was chatting with, uses pidgin for windows.
Maybe pidgin saves the aspect ratio of userpics and empathy stretches them.

Packages, which is subscribed to empathy in Ubuntu.

  Userpics are stretched in conversation view

Status in “empathy” package in Ubuntu:

  Userpics are stretched in empathy conversation window (but look fine
  in contact list window) for contacts that have non-square image.

  Package: empathy 3.2.0.1-0ubuntu1.1
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu4
  Architecture: amd64