So what would be happening at this point is probably some kind of issue
with the contents of /etc/resolv.conf. Since you reportedly use dnsmasq
and resolvconf, and resolvconf has been known in the past to be somewhat
unreliable; I'd be tempted to say this was an issue with that version
(or those versions) of resolvconf.

We've switched to using dnsmasq (without caching, though) as a resolver
for the desktop and resolvconf to maintain the /etc/resolv.conf file
globally. I believe most of the issues you're speaking of are probably
resolved in at least Oneiric, or even in the current development
version: Precise Pangolin, which will in time be released as Ubuntu
12.04.

Can you please confirm whether you're still using the same Ubuntu
releases, or if not, whether this issue is still present? This would
help a great deal in identifying and resolving the problem.

If you indeed can reproduce the issue, please make sure you take a copy
of /etc/resolv.conf before using your workaround so that we have this
additional information to help with identifying the issue.

Thanks in advance!

** Changed in: network-manager (Ubuntu)

  network manager reports connectivity when there isn't any after a hard
  reboot

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:

  When doing hard reboots after an X crash, nm-applet reports that it's
  connected normally, yet nothing requiring network connectivity
  actually works. This is resolved by doing a soft reboot (from logged
  in, not from the login screen), until the next hard reboot.

  At the beginning of booting, there are several lines about networking
  stuff: resolvconf, dnsmasq, and maybe something else. One of those
  lines changes from 1st (hard) reboot to 2nd (soft) reboot, which is
  probably useful information, but I can't read it as it flies by, and I
  can't scroll back to it in CTRL-ALT-F8... I'm sure you can tell me how
  to get it somehow

  I'm using Jaunty, with dnsmasq set up to cache dns locally (using
  instructions from http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2006/08/02/local-dns-
  cache-for-faster-browsing/ ), and nothing special that seems relevant
  to me, though I'm sure you'll have a long list of stuff you want from
  me :)