I can't do anything but close this bug report as "Invalid", this is not
a bug but a design decision. There are other facilities available to
provide a similar functionality (/etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d) which
also runs some of the ifupdown scripts, and we have some support of the
most common hooks to ifupdown when running NetworkManager is managed
more. Running normally, NetworkManager *will* (and that's expected and
wanted behavior) ignore the devices configured in
/etc/network/interfaces.

** Changed in: network-manager (Ubuntu)

  network-manager lacks configuration params

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: network-manager

  Hi,

  when moving from manual ifup/down configuration to network-manager
  when testing jaunty beta I ran into several shortcomings of network-
  manager (compared to ifup-down)

  * there are no pre-up/post-down scripts run (this is bug #336736)

  * network-manager does not tell, which configuration was chosen (e.g. the
name of the network configuration),
    like ifup/down does when running the scripts. Should pass this as a third
parameter or as an environment
    variable (and forward to the /etc/network/ifup.d.. scripts)

  * with /etc/network/interfaces you can pass additional arbitrary parameters
(i.e. environment variables) to
     the scripts run, where network-manager lacks this ability

  * ifup/down supports a feature like script-driven selection of the
configuration, e.g. with guessnet, which allows
    automatic selection of the network configuration, depending where you are
(e.g. by trying arp requests)

  regards
  Hadmut