Works fine here in Precise.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-utils in Ubuntu.

  gnome-screenshot ignores "--area" if called from shortcut

Status in “gnome-screenshot” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “gnome-utils” package in Ubuntu:

  By pressing "Print" a screenshot of the whole desktop gets taken. But I would
prefer if I could always choose the area of the screenshot by hand. By calling
"gnome-screenshot --area" from commandline you can select the area.

  So I went into System -> Shortcuts (? have a German layout)  and deactivated
the shortcut "print" for taking a screenshot.
  Now I added a new shortcut with the command: "gnome-screenshot --area" and
assigned the "print" key to it. (Theoretically I am done at this point)

   But if I press the print key a screenshot of the whole screen gets
  taken. And there was NO area selection. If I change the command from "
  --area" to "--interactive", then by pressing the "print" key the
  property window pops up (if i select there the checkbox area-selection
  I can choose the area). Assigning "gnome-screenshot --area"  to a
  different key/ or combination of keys has the same result - the area
  selection never shows up. (The interactive mode always works)

  Do I miss something or did I found a bug? And can anyone tell me if
  there is a fix?

  As a workaround I tried putting the command into a script and then
  calling the script per shortcut with the same result: the area
  selection never shows up, (the interactive mode does).

  I am using
  Ubuntu 9.10 with  kernel 2.6.31-20-generic (without compiz or any desktop
effects)

  loe