Thank you for reporting this bug to Ubuntu 9.04 reached EOL on October 23, 2010.
Please see this document for currently supported Ubuntu releases:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

I've tried recreating this bug with Ubuntu 10.04 and was unable to,
given the information you've provided. Please either a) upgrade and test
or b) follow one of the suggested workarounds below.

As a workaround, you may want to completely remove the configuration you
have in /etc/network/interfaces and configure all your settings directly
in NetworkManager. The original connection will probably not have the
MTU right away, but once you login and configure the connection, which
will be editable, you can then change the MTU and add static routes.
Another workaround may be to change the settings in /etc/NetworkManager
/nm-system-settings.conf to "managed=true", which should allow you some
control over the connection that NetworkManager will import from
/etc/network/interfaces.

Please feel free to report any other bugs you may find.

** Changed in: network-manager (Ubuntu)

  [Jaunty] network-manager overrides all manual network settings

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: network-manager

  I need to be able to set MTU (jumbo frames, wired connection...) and
  some static routes on eth0, but NetworkManager always finds the
  Ethernet adapter (Intel Corporation 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection
  (rev 03)) and assumes that it should manage it.  The resulting
  connection is absolutely not editable, and attempting to remove it
  results in an error indicating that I'm not allowed to remove read-
  only connections.  I can't find information anywhere on how to make
  "Auto eth0" read-write.

  I've spent quite some time researching this, and found any number of
  suggested work-arounds, none of which help me at all.  I've tried
  creating a new connection tied to the adapter's MAC, but this only
  works if I manually select it after logging in to the DE-- which
  causes the network connection to drop, and apparently results in a
  race condition where "eth0" and "Auto eth0" seem to have a roughly
  equal chance of being tied to the adapter, so I may have to do this
  two or three times.

  This is a major annoyance, and I see it goes back at least as far as
  Intrepid.

  Any assistance appreciated.