Was advised to enter bug report and want to add one further point which
might be useful.   I have started a clean install on a separate disk and
have not yet reinstalled my home directory.   Too soon to see if browser
history also vanishes in this case but have seen one difference.   Both
installs act the same when I click on the history button in the menu
bar, but the history sidebar acts differently in the two cases.   In
both cases the history sidebar shows the time periods - today,
yesterday, etc..    In the clean reinstall when I click on one of these
time periods the browser history of that period appears.  In the other
case when I click on one of these time periods nothing shows up although
the search function appears to work.

  browser history vanishes

Status in “firefox” package in Ubuntu:

  On 2/25 I reported a problem - that my browser history vanished after
  one day.   Original report (question 188806) is:

  "Using Ubuntu 11.04 updated and firefox 10.0.2. All was ok till I
  updated about 1 week ago. The next day my browser history disappeared.
  If I reinstall from a backup I can access all previous history stored
  in the backup but again all browser history vanishes after a day. I
  reinstalled the entire system and my home directory but same thing
  happens. Firefox preferences are set to "use custom settings for
  history", I cleared the cache, and my config files appear ok but ?.
  Tried running Clam AV and that showed no virus but it kept showing 99%
  complete and never finished. Can anyone help?"

  Received advice to move firefox to firefox.old and reinstall the
  browser since the problem might have been due to a config conflict.
  Seemed to work but tonight, after two days this time, the browser
  history again vanished.   I am able to reinstall with a backup but
  problem persists.   Preferences are set to 'Use Custom Settings' and
  'Remember Browser History'.   Anyone have a suggestion?   Thanks.