As discussed on the mailing list, I would propose to move the login sound
option to the "Universal Access>Seeing" panel because its main utility at the
moment is notifying the user that the machine is ready to accept inputs.
The sound could be disabled by default but automatically enabled at the first
boot after the installation or if a sight related accessibility profile is
selected.

  Disable login sound option

Status in “gnome-control-center” package in Ubuntu:

  The login sound in Precise can now be disabled by unchecking it in the
  startup applications. However this is just a hack. Here is the
  discussion on the ayatana mailing list.

  I agree startup applications is not something that you would use
  frequently and the only item inside is the "Gnome Login Sound" (which
  i also believe is not the correct place for it either, as i was
  looking how to disable startup sound a few days ago in more logical
  places like user accounts or sounds but did not find it , so i had to
  do an online instructions search...).

  "Agree, that's a terrible place for the login sound - it's a hack
  surfaced to the user. Please file a bug."

  Mark

  I propose that it being integrated into the sound menu or the user
  accounts menu as an option.