I've come across this bug and had the idea of hashing the URL to create
the avatar filename rather than simply replacing some characters. I've
never written Vala before, but I'm willing to have a bash at patching it
if that would be of interest, so we can fix this in time for 12.04.

Packages, which is subscribed to gwibber in Ubuntu.

  gwibber-service crashed with IOError in get_avatar_path(): [Errno 5]
  Input/output error:

u'/home/nick/.cache/gwibber/avatars/https:graph.facebook.com100000124833624picture'

Status in Gwibber:
  Confirmed
Status in “gwibber” package in Ubuntu:

  crashed but I was not even using gwibber. Just booted up the computer.

  ProblemType: Crash
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.10
  Package: gwibber-service 3.1.90-0ubuntu1