Public bug reported:

I use emacs in a server/client mode and when I try to shutdown or
restart, the dialog "a program is still running" (see attachment 1)
appears and prevents the action.

The problem is that the dialog presents an action labeled "restart
anyway" that does not work. It kills the "still running" process (my
emacs server) and closes the dialog but does not shutdown/restart. You
have to click on "shutdown" a second time and then it behaves correctly.

Now, this is a bug as the action is not performed as indicated but I
think that we shouldn't even see this dialog in the first place. At
least, there could be a counter that would trigger automatically the
shutdown/restart action after a brief delay.

If it can help someone to reproduce the bug, I use this alias in
~/.bashrc :

alias emacs='emacsclient -c -a ""'

** Affects: gnome-session (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-session in Ubuntu.

  Restart/Shutdown anyway fails when a program is still running

Status in “gnome-session” package in Ubuntu: