Note, I suspect this is also associated with this problem. I've tried to
send three seperate print commands one after the other (using the large
document attached to my previous entry). Only the first print command
seems to have made its way into cups. The printer stopped printing after
the first document was finished, it waited a while and ejected a blank
page.

  printing multiple copies does not work

Status in “libreoffice” package in Ubuntu:

  With LibreOffice Draw 3.5.0 beta2 setting the number of copies in the print
dialog doesn't seem to work, regardless of how many copies I want, I only get
one listed. I will provide whatever details are required.
  ---
  Ubuntu Bug Squad volunteer triager
  http://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad

  Package: libreoffice (not installed)
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.2.0-12.21-generic-pae 3.2.2
  Uname: Linux 3.2.0-12-generic-pae i686
  ApportVersion: 1.91-0ubuntu1
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Fri Feb  3 03:54:16 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Alpha i386
(20120110.2)
  ProcEnviron:
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: libreoffice
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to precise on 2012-01-28 (5 days ago)