Just like appier, I have experienced this with Xubuntu 11.10 too. I'm
therefore not in a hurry to blame Compiz. I moved to Xubuntu because my
performance with the regular Ubuntu / Unity mix on one PC led to
slowdowns (fewer complete lockups).

I'm trying the power management tricks, as I think that is the most
likely, and ties with my experience so far.

Add to this some other triggers based on the discussion:

1) in the past I've had some nasty experiences with ecryptfs home directory
encryption causing OpenOffice / Libre Office failures and other nastiness.
2) things only seem to get bad once I start hitting the page file (too much
Gimp work)
3) if I get to Ctrl Alt F1, then after a few minutes I get a message that
Chrome is being killed (or at least certain windows within the browser) since
it appears to have run away
4) similarly, Thunderbird gives me messages about long running scripts
5) CPU may not always run away, but if I do sudo iotop then I'll see kswapd0
hogging the system (or possibly just indicating that something else is
desperately trying to switch / fork and failing?)
6)  I also run Banshee a lot
7) Flash performance is dire on this PC (surprised? not really)

I was trying to blame Chrome or Thunderbird, but I think this is either
ecryptsfs (again), power management on this Intel barebones system, or
some scary background process that doesn't report failures in dmesg.

Details:

Intel Atom 4 core w/ 2GB RAM
Intel 945GC onboard graphics
Intel ICH7 South Bridge
Kernel: 3.0.0-16-generic

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-screensaver in Ubuntu.

  Natty Screensaver freezes system after some period of inactivity

Status in Linux ACPI client:
  New
Status in X.org xf86-video-intel:
  Confirmed
Status in “gnome-screensaver” package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: gnome-screensaver

  When selecting "Floating Ubuntu" screensaver, after a period of
  inactivity greater than 40min, the systems locks itself and becomes
  unresponsive.

  Package: gnome-screensaver 2.30.2-0ubuntu2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.38-8.42-generic 2.6.38.2
  Date: Sat Apr 16 13:04:12 2011
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  GconfGnomeSession:
   idle_delay = 5
    /desktop/gnome/session/required_components:
     windowmanager = gnome-wm
  GnomeSessionIdleInhibited: No
  GnomeSessionInhibitors: None
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" - Release amd64 (20101007)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_US:en
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: gnome-screensaver
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to natty on 2011-04-15 (1 days ago)
  WindowManager: gnome-wm