> My problem is now fixed. I will try and explain what happened.
>
> I had a broken soft link that was preventing me from doing
> the updates. (as you can see in the term.log)

Changing symlinks in /usr/bin is user error.

The ValueError from the log is a safety check against such
a user error.  Not a bug.

** Changed in: gedit-plugins (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gedit-plugins in Ubuntu.

  package gedit-plugins 2.26.1-0ubuntu1 failed to install/upgrade:

Status in “gedit-plugins” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: gedit-plugins

  Ubuntu 9.04amd64

  installing gedit-plugins from the repository failed.

  I marked for installation gedit-plugins in the Synaptic Package
  Manager. This was the only installation/removal i was doing. I clicked
  Apply. The package had downloaded and it had moved on to the
  installing gedit-plugins dialog box. Then an error came up telling me
  the installation failed.

  The  other applications running were Firefox, Rhythmbox and Conky

  ProblemType: Package
  ErrorMessage: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  Package: gedit-plugins 2.26.1-0ubuntu1
  SourcePackage: gedit-plugins
  Title: package gedit-plugins 2.26.1-0ubuntu1 failed to install/upgrade:

  EDIT: Now everytime I go to install a package in Synaptic I get this error:

  E: gedit-plugins: subprocess post-installation script returned error
  exit status 1