Bug #725434 resulted in cairo-gl being disabled for causing "a 300%
increase in memory use at login as compared to previously".  Comment #12
mentioned a theory that this memory problem was actually in a version of
libc nolonger used in Precise.  I just tested the difference between
memory use of some applications I expect to be using gtk+ at startup in
Precise with and without cairo-gl enable.  I installed cairo-gl via:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ricotz/staging
sudo apt-get install libcairo2 libcairo-gobject2

While total real + swap = virtual memory is about the same, a number of
applications do have roughly 300% of the memory usage with cairo-gl
enabled as they do with it disabled.  So it looks like we still have the
cairo-gl + Nvidia proprietary driver memory problem?

                  cairo-gl    disabled           enabled
                                    VIRT   RES       VIRT      RES  RES %
compiz
indicator-sound   517m 6868     649m    24m
compiz                    956m 120m  1043m 120m  100%
nautilus                  732m   28m     789m    45m  161%
indicator-print     476m  9.9m     463m    28m  283%
indicator-sessi     588m  6000     647m    24m
indicator-print     476m  9.9m     463m    28m  283%
indicator-messa  575m  6364     418m    23m
indicator-appli     411m  4744     608m    22m
indicator-datet    480m  7344     675m    25m

** Attachment added: "Same memory table above in plain text"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gtk+3.0/+bug/954352/+attachment/2893654/+files/cairo-gl.memory.txt

Packages, which is subscribed to gtk+3.0 in Ubuntu.

  Enable wayland backend

Status in “gtk+3.0” package in Ubuntu:

  Add --enable-wayland-backend to build flags.  I believe this is all
  that's necessary for wayland to work with the existing Precise gtk
  packages.

  Wayland has one released version, 0.85, which is in the precise
  archives:  https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wayland/

  I'm told gtk 3.4 is (and will remain) compatable with it.  Since gtk
  3.4 is apparently already packaged for Precise, all that remains to be
  able to use some gtk applications via wayland is this build flag.