You are correct, that is an exaggeration. It does not change the fact
that during the lifetime of ESR 10 I will have to spend time testing a
new Firefox release a total of eight times, possibly communicating with
all users to set expectations, possibly updating documentation, possibly
creating workarounds. All so that I can be sure that our workstations
are up-to-date with security fixes. As a business we have zero interest
in the latest gee-whiz features. We do have an interest in application
stability, easy change management, and reduced end-user support.

I understand the motivations for following the Mozilla rapid release
schedule. I appreciate the desire to please the home computer users. I
respect the hard work and dedication of all the developers that make
Ubuntu happen. But I do need to register my discontent with not offering
the option of Mozilla ESR releases.

Thanks.

  firefox 10 esr needs packaging

Status in “firefox” package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  Friends, I understand, respect, and accept that Firefox-10-esr will
  not be installed as a default package in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (and
  likewise Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.)

  http://www.chriscoulson.me.uk/blog/?p=111

  However, I would very much like to see it packaged (and ideally in the
  repositories) so it would be an option for those who so choose and who
  are informed of the limitations, arguments, and risks.

  Naturally, it is possible to download the tarball containing the
  binaries from Mozilla, extract them to /opt (or /usr/local/bin) and
  symlink appropriately, but it would be preferable to maintain the
  packages in the repositories (for ease of upgrade when each point
  release is issued.)

  If the decision is made not to package firefox esr in the main or
  universe repository, Mr. Coulson, would you consider packaging it in
  your ppa (that you are in the process of retiring)?  mozillateam
  /firefox-stable   The ppa name would actually still be appropriate.

  I would be glad to help but would need (at least initially) a good
  step by step tutorial in getting the right source code files and
  uploading them to the ppa.

  Thanks so much for your consideration.

  Further, kudos for all of your work and sharing of your time and
  talents.