** Attachment added: "Network-Manager"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/959445/+attachment/2898320/+files/Istantanea%20-%2019032012%20-%2017%3A08%3A18.png

** Visibility changed to: Public

** Description changed:

  I have a notebook with an encrypted /home partition.

  I have noticed that wired 802.1X connections I create through nm-applet
  and stored in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections contain unencrypted
  password. While I wouldn't mind for my personal wifi networks, I have a
  few 802.1x Wired connections whose password I can't afford leaving
  unprotected, as I use them also for work emails and other services.

  I have gnome-keyring as a standard for Xfce; it works, as I can use it
  to save passwords for wireless networks.

  I have tried un-ticking the "Available to all users" box and "Connect
  automatically", but it doesn't change this behavior.

+ I'm using Xubuntu Ubuntu precise (development branch) 12.04 on amd64,
+ just upgraded from 11.4 on which I had the same problem.

- I'm using Xubuntu Ubuntu precise (development branch) 12.04 on amd64, just
upgraded from 11.4 on which I had the same problem.
-
- Here are a sample configuration file for a wireless network:
+ Here are a sample configuration file for a wired network:

** Description changed:

  I have a notebook with an encrypted /home partition.

  I have noticed that wired 802.1X connections I create through nm-applet
  and stored in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections contain unencrypted
  password. While I wouldn't mind for my personal wifi networks, I have a
  few 802.1x Wired connections whose password I can't afford leaving
  unprotected, as I use them also for work emails and other services.

  I have gnome-keyring as a standard for Xfce; it works, as I can use it
  to save passwords for wireless networks.

  I have tried un-ticking the "Available to all users" box and "Connect
  automatically", but it doesn't change this behavior.

  I'm using Xubuntu Ubuntu precise (development branch) 12.04 on amd64,
  just upgraded from 11.4 on which I had the same problem.

- Here are a sample configuration file for a wired network:
+ Here are a sample configuration for a wired network:

** Summary changed:

- NetworkManager saves passwords in cleartext in /etc/NetworkManager instead of
storing them in gnome-keyring
+ NetworkManager saves wired passwords in cleartext in /etc/NetworkManager
(instead of storing them in gnome-keyring)

  NetworkManager saves wired passwords in cleartext in
  /etc/NetworkManager (instead of storing them in gnome-keyring)

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu: