Etienne, thanks for the great reproduction steps.  One correction on
them though:

$ echo "*; *; *; Al0000-2400" | sudo tee -a /etc/security/group.con

should be:

$ echo "*; *; *; Al0000-2400;test" | sudo tee -a
/etc/security/group.conf

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  Using pam_group results in: pam_group(lightdm:setcred): unable to set
  the group membership for user: operation not permitted

Status in Light Display Manager:
  Confirmed
Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu:

  I have configured many computers to authenticate through a openldap server.
To be able to be admin in each computer, I use pam_group feature to select
additional groups for user. (/etc/security/group.conf).
  Login directly on the console give me good group membership (the one defined
in group.conf), but login from lightdm results in an error message in
auth.local:
  pam_group(lightdm:setcred): unable to set the group membership for user:
operation not permitted.

  Of course, the group membership is not set as it should.