This seems to be fixed.

** Changed in: unity (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: nux (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: unity

** Changed in: nux

Packages, which is subscribed to unity in Ubuntu.

  Launcher icon goes behind launcher if dialog pops up while dragging
  icon

Status in Nux:
  Fix Released
Status in Unity:
  Fix Released
Status in “nux” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu:

  If a dialog appears while mid-drag, the icon being dragged will appear behind
the launcher. I would make a short video but I am almost out disk space. This
can be easily reproduced by running
  $ sleep 5; zenity --info --text="See what I mean, Vern?"
  then dragging a launcher icon until the dialog appears. Move the icon into
the launcher and see it obscured by the launcher.